This is a handy little booklet you can whip up super quick for your students and will help reinforce your teaching points about what maps are. Aimed at Foundation (K) and Grade 1 students, your kiddos are going to love completing their own mini-book about maps. Also useful as a fast finisher or cut and paste individual pages into their Geography books as you explain each mapping term.
This easy-to-use packet includes definitions and explanations on:
- Title page
- What is a map?
- What is a globe?
- What are the different types of maps?
- What is a birds-eye view?
- What is street view?
- Why do we use maps?
- How do maps help us? (two pages of examples)
- Who uses maps?
- What are map symbols?
- What is a compass?
- What are cardinal directions?
- Let's make a map! (individual activity)
Aligned to the following curriculum
Australia (ACARA) 8.3
FOUNDATION YEAR – Geography
- The representation of the location of places and their features on simple maps and models.
- Describing how the globe is a representation of the world and locating Australia and other places on a globe
My Book About Maps - an introduction to mapping
PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
4 MB|17 pages